Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup with Cornbread Muffins

It’s been about 100 degrees here in Los Angeles over the past week. Hardly fall-like weather. Nevertheless it’s fall somewhere in the world I’m sure, and what’s more cozy on a crisp autumn evening than a nice big bowl of soup? Just to pretend that it was fall for a day I made this delicious soup in my crock pot. The nice thing about making it in my crock pot was that it didn’t heat up my kitchen too much. Lord knows it was hot enough. You will love this soup. My fiancé gave it a two thumbs up and an enthusiastic YUM!



Soup Ingredients:

1 cup of celery chopped

1 small yellow onion or half of one sweet onion chopped

2 – 6.5 oz. cans of mushrooms drained

1 cup prepared instant wild rice (I used Rice-a-Roni’s original recipe instant wild rice, seasoning and all)

2 10-3/4 oz. cans cream of mushroom soup

EITHER 2 10-3/4 oz. cans cream of chicken soup OR if you want it to be totally vegetarian try cream of potato or cream of celery or one of each. You can easily mix it up.

2 cups water

2 cups milk

Combine all the ingredients in your crock pot except for the milk. Heat on a low setting for 8 to 10 hours or on a high setting for 4 to 6 hours. About 30 minutes before it’s done stir in the milk. It should serve about 8.

Cornbread muffin ingredients:

I’m not even going to list the ingredients because this is how easy these little babies are to make. This is what you do: take yourself down to the grocery store to buy the ingredients you need for the soup. Go to the baking aisle and get yourself a box of Jiffy Cornbread mix. They’re like $0.69 a box. Heck get three, cause you’re going to love the cornbread and you will want more. Simply follow the directions on the back of the box and ta-da! You’ll have some nummy muffins to go with your soup. The end.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! It IS fall here, 37 degrees two mornings in a row now...and I need something to make that will be ready for me when I come in the door.

    And yes, the Jiffy muffins are perfect...unless you are a lady of leisure and have nothing else to do but make muffins from scratch. NOT!

    ReplyDelete