Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Busted Butts and Drunken Flies: Hiking to Henninger Flats

So I finally got my lazy ass to hike up to Henninger Flats. When I say up, I mean up. Most of this trail is vertical. I'm in pretty decent shape but I needed quite a few "rest stops" on this outing. Luckily there are plenty of picturesque places to stop, enjoy the view, and pant like a dog. I saw some people running up this trail but clearly they are not human. The benefit of course is that I now have buns of steel and I managed to sweat out every margarita I had drank the night before. This delighted all the little flies and gnats who kept trying to land on my and sip my tequila enhanced perspiration. I sure hope PETA doesn't come after me for getting the wildlife drunk.


Me, at the top, with my tongue hanging out.

Another benefit is the amazing view. On a clear day you can see downtown LA and all the way to the ocean. We could make out a big cargo ship on the water. Once you get to Henninger Flats you will find a grassy green field. And, hallelujah, it's flat! There are groves of shady pine trees and picnic tables to relax at. You can also camp up here, though that would require hiking in all your gear, up the mountain, so good luck to you on that. We sat at a shaded picnic table right near the edge and had a really nice time enjoying the views and the quiet. We had the place to ourselves and it was so peaceful.


This trail can be accessed from Eaton Canyon. Take the usual route through the canyon and when you get to the bridge take the right hand trail instead of the trail that goes back to the waterfall.
 

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I'm tired just reading about your hike/climb! So...is there a road to the flats or did some poor ranger-type have to climb up with all the materials for the sign, picnic tables, etc.?

    Beautiful views!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hike was a butt, leg, thighs, and calf buster! I loved it!! Just make sure you bring plenty of water and snacks!

    ReplyDelete