Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Waterfall - Eaton Canyon

Eaton Canyon was the first hike I went on after I moved to L.A. I was having "city fever" and I needed green spaces. I needed nature. So I went to Eaton Canyon. I headed down the trail feeling quite content. At the bridge I had to make a decision. Should I keep going? After the bridge the trail becomes narrower with lots of water crossings and rock hopping. Kids were coming down it though so it couldn't be that hard. I thought "what the heck, I'll do it". Some of my "what the heck" moments have led to my best adventures and greatest discoveries.



At the end of that trail, deep in the back of the canyon, I found a waterfall crashing into a deep green pool. What a discovery! I was not expecting that. True to my nature I had not bothered to research much about the canyon and had no idea there was a waterfall back there. Apparantly I was the only one though. On a weekend that waterfall is a busy place. I'm all for encouraging others to be appreciative of nature though so I can't really complain. I sat there on the rocks by the pool with my fellow nature lovers and decided that this was one of my new favorite places in L.A.

Since then I have returned to Eaton Canyon many times. Every time I go it is different. With the changing seasons comes varying plants and scenery. Here are some of my favorite photos from Eaton Canyon over the past couple years.














Stay tuned and I'll tell you about how I finally got my lazy ass to take the turn off to Henninger Flats. I got some flies drunk along the way. It was super!
 
For more info on Eaton Canyon follow this link: http://www.ecnca.org/

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place to spend the afternoon! I love it and I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pic of the dirt path, your butterfly and that neat spikey plant. What is it, do you know?

    Drunk flies? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete